Friday, September 12, 2008

Kendal's week

Well, this week turned out to be all about Kendal, which tends to be the case most of the time anyway. Wednesday was Kendal's very first dance class. I gave her the choice between dance and gymnastics, and she clearly chose dance. Okay, fine. Now, I never did the whole "dance" thing when I was a kid, but I've heard stories. Anyway, last week we went to get the shoes, that wasn't too painful. Then I told her she could get ONE outfit. She kept looking at these leotard dress things that were like $40! Ummm...I don't think so. Then she sees this tutu. It was THE one. It is bright pink with sequins and a very fluffy skirt. She loves it. So, I'm thinking the other ones were a little plain and $40, how much is this one gonna be? Well, it was $20! SOLD! She of course put it on that night and she says with her voice full of awe, "I'm so sparkly!"

The actual dance class I knew would be interesting. She has never really done anything at all on her own. I mean, she goes to day care, but since it's a home day care with basically the same kids for the last 2.5 years, I consider it like a stay-at-home type of situation. It stared off well. She found her name on the floor and told me I could go. Okey dokey. I look in at her every once in a while and she's doing all of the little moves like the teacher. Then she spots me in the window and the next thing I know she turns and walks out. This is about 20 minutes into it. She doesn't want to do it anymore. Complete meltdown with crying/screaming. Yes, we are "those people". So we end up watching for a while, and after a bit she puts on her ballet shoes, and after another little bit she joins the class again. So it started well, and ended well, but the middle was a little dicey. We'll see how next week goes. I'm planning on staying out of sight as I think that's what triggered it.

Then today was another exciting day. The first trip to the dentist! Okay, so I realize that this is probably more exciting for me than it is for her, but still. She was actually a VERY good girl. She let me scrape her teeth a little, and polish and floss. She even let Dr. D look too! She kept her mouth open so well. Oh, I was just so proud! We brought home some gloves, a mask and a napkin, and we took turns playing dentist/patient the rest of the afternoon.

Look at those pearly whites! Any contributions to Kendal's orthodontics fund would be greatly appreciated!

5 comments:

Katri said...

Love the dance story! And the tutu is too funny! When we took Eliah in for his first dentist trip this summer...he would NOT open his mouth. I had to lie down on the chair first with him on top of me...he finally let them LOOK with the mirror...but no scraping or flossing....yes, we are "those" people! Ha!

Rachel said...

LOVE the sparkly pink tutu!! Can't wait until John has to sit through his first recital :)
Rachel

becca jo said...

too cute. she's gonna love it, don't worry!

Counting Coconuts said...

What a fun week for Ms. Kendal! I can't believe how big she's getting! We took James to the dentist last week too! He did a great job - of course there was a TV and a balloon there to keep him happy! :)

Beth said...

Oh My That is one FANCY NANCY dress! That girl has style!